Suncorp Super Netball player payment rise in 2019
Netball Australia (NA), the Australian Netball Players’ Association (ANPA) and the eight clubs have agreed to increase total player payments for the 2019 Suncorp Super Netball season.
The world’s best netball players will share in a payment pool of up to $5.32 million per annum, with each club’s cap increasing by $15,000 to $515,000, and access to up to $150,000 for employment, education and/or ambassador roles.
In addition, each player’s private health fund insurance allowance for the 2019 season will rise to $1,635 to be in line with the government approved private health fund increase of 3.95 percent for 2018.
ANPA Chief Executive Officer, Kathryn Harby-Williams said the increase in financial reward for the players was paramount, but critical to the agreement was the rise in minimum player payments.
“This was a clear objective and central to our discussions, so to see the minimum payment for all players rise by 8.75 percent to $30,000 is a great outcome.
“It’s another step forward in protecting and supporting our players on and off the court.
“It also ensures all players are in the best position to commit to competing at the elite level,” Harby-Williams said.
NA CEO, Marne Fechner said the updated players agreement was another step forward for Australian netball.
“We are driven to set new benchmarks and make Suncorp Super Netball the number one women’s League globally. On court, Season 2 has raised the bar, the competition is closer and more fiercely contested than ever before – the players sit at the heart of that.
“It’s fantastic that young girls now have a genuine career pathway in netball and more broadly, women’s sport,” Fechner said.
– The contract periods for the next three seasons have been confirmed allowing multi-year contracts, which include the 2020 or 2021 seasons.
– The contract period for each of the next three seasons will be:
2019 Season – 1 September 2018 to 30 September 2019 (13 months) *
2020 Season – 1 October 2019 to 30 September 2020 (12 months)
2021 Season – 1 October 2020 to 30 September 2021 (12 months)
*Additional month due to 2019 Netball World Cup.
– Clubs will have the exclusive right to re-sign any of their existing 10 contracted final squad players from 1 July 2018 on a single year or multi-year contract.
– Clubs will also have the exclusive right to sign any of their existing permanent or temporary replacement players or training partners from 1 July 2018 as one of their 10 contracted final squad players.
– Clubs cannot approach or enter into negotiations with any contracted players, permanent or temporary replacement players or training partners from other teams until 27 August 2018, the Monday after the Grand Final.
– Final team lists for the 2019 Suncorp Super Netball season will be announced around 25 September 2018.