Stats Insider: Your Suncorp Super Netball semi-final form guide
It’s time to get serious.
The Suncorp Super Netball finals kick off this weekend, with four proven performers set to do battle in what promise to be two thrilling contests.
So how do the teams stack up against each other this season and in the first year of Super Netball?
Here’s your in-depth form guide to all the action.
GIANTS NETBALL v WEST COAST FEVER
THE STATS THAT MATTER
- The Giants are unbeaten at home in 2018.
- The Fever’s 11-goal fourth-quarter win (22-11) last week against the Giants was the Giants’ biggest quarter loss in their short history, as well as their most goals conceded in a quarter (22).
- The Giants have been leading at half-time 12 times this season for 10 wins, 1 loss and 1 draw.
- The Fever haven’t lost when leading at three-quarter time.
- The Giants are eighth (which is the fewest) in penalties conceded (366).
- The Fever lead the way for ‘feeds with an attempt’ with 925.
- The Fever have turned the ball over 334 times which is the 2nd
- There is only a 73-goal difference between the score contribution of Susan Pettitt and Jo Harten. There is a massive 665-goal difference between Jhaniele Fowler and Nat Medhurst.
- Nat Medhurst is second for goal assists with 394 and Kin Green is third with 338.
- Courtney Bruce, with 28 defensive rebounds, is the equal best defensive rebounder the competition.
THE STORY THIS YEAR…
WHO OWNS EACH QUARTER
WHERE THEY RANK
QUEENSLAND FIREBIRDS v SUNSHINE COAST LIGHTNING
THE STATS THAT MATTER
- The Firebirds have the best percentage with 114.2% (858 goals for, 751 goals against).
- The Lightning won 35 quarters during the regular season, which was a competition high.
- Both teams are coming into this semi-final in form with a four-win, one-loss record over the past five games. Both suffered losses in Round 10 – the Firebirds against the Vixens by one goal (57-58) and the Lightning against the Fever by one goal (58-59).
- The Lightning’s likely starting seven have played in all 14 games this season.
- The Firebirds are the leading team for gains (191), offensive rebounds (89) and defensive rebounds (39).
- The Lightning lead the way for deflections with no gain (178) and are second for gains (184).
- The Firebirds are ranked third for penalties with 921 and the Lightning are seventh with 826.
- Romelda Aiken, Gretel Tippett and Gabi Simpson have played every minute of season 2018.
- Karla Pretorius has taken 40 intercepts this season to lead the competition. Her defensive partner Geva Mentor is leading the way for deflections, with 103 (75 with no gain, 28 with a gain).
- Due to Romelda Aiken and Gretel Tippett’s rebounding ability, the Firebirds convert 45.5% of their misses into goals.